About the Open Data Directive
Full name: Directive (EU) 2019/1024 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019 on open data and the re-use of public sector information.
Objective and key elements:
- Strengthening the EU’s data economy
- Ensuring fair competition and easy access to public sector information
- Enhancing cross-border innovation based on data
- Introducing a principle that government data should be open by default and design and provided (almost) free of charge without (unnecessary) restrictions.
Relevant to: Governmental bodies and entities (and the relevant entities wishing to obtain data from such entities)
Related legislation: Regulation (EU) 2018/1807 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 November 2018 on a framework for the free flow of non-personal data in the European Union
Status: In force.
- Implemented in Sweden through Lagen (2022:818) om den offentliga sektorns tillgängliggörande av data.