About the Data Act (proposal)
Full name: Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on harmonised rules on fair access to and use of data (Data Act)
Objective and key elements:
- Facilitating B2C, B2B, and B2G data sharing
- Ensuring fairness in the allocation of value from data among actors in the data economy and fostering access to and use of data
- “Make data more available for use” and “remove barriers to access data”
- Clarifying who can create value from data; rules on who can use and access data and for which purposes
- Requirement of “data sharing by design” included
Relevant to: Providers and users of connected devices (products) and data processing services (e.g, cloud infrastructure).
Status: To be reviewed by European Parliament and European Council, Commission’s proposal published 23 February 2022, link
Latest version: Parliament adopted a revised version on 14 March 2023, more information.
(Last updated 15 March 2023)