Open Data Directive
About the Open Data Directive
Full name: Directive (EU) 2019/1024 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019 on open data and the re-use of public sector information.
Objective and key elements:
- Strengthening of the EU’s data economy.
- Ensuring fair competition and easy access public sector information.
- Enhancing cross-border innovation based on data.
- Introducing a principle is that government data should be open by default and design and provided (almost) free of charge without (unnecessary) restrictions.
Relevant to: Governmental bodies and entites (and the relevant entites wishing to obtain data from such entities)
Status: In force.
- Implemented in Sweden through Lagen (2022:818) om den offentliga sektorns tillgängliggörande av data.